A 3-year old, #BellaEdwards BEATEN to DEATH by mother’s boyfriend! Dad found out via #Facebook!


Another young TODDLER has been BEATEN TO DEATH by a father figure.  Bella Edwards who only three was beaten by her mother’s boyfriend and appears to have been SEXUALLY assaulted as well.  The BIOLOGICAL father found out about her death via Facebook!

The biological father of the 3-year-old Queens girl allegedly killed by her ex-convict stepdad found out about his daughter’s death on Facebook, he told The Post on Wednesday.

Kellon Edwards, 35, of Brooklyn said he learned his daughter, Bella Edwards, died on Monday after his mother found out through a Facebook post by another family member.

Edwards was livid at his daughter’s mother, Shamika Gonzalez, for not telling him about the horrific incident sooner.

“I didn’t hear anything from [Gonzalez] until 7 a.m. today,” Edwards said. “Nobody told me anything and when she did reach out, she told me she was ‘sorry.’”

He ripped Gonzalez for posting on Facebook about Bella’s death instead of notifying him directly.

Medics and police officers found the girl, Bella Edwards, unconscious on Monday evening with the man, Mark Jenkins, trying to resuscitate her. Richard A. Brown, the Queens district attorney, said the girl was the victim of child abuse, beaten to death by Mr. Jenkins while in his sole care.

Mr. Jenkins, 32, was charged with second-degree murder with depraved indifference and assault, and more charges could be added as the investigation continues. He was scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday in criminal court in Queens.

“This is a terribly disturbing case,” Mr. Brown said in a statement announcing the charges. “The victim here is an innocent little girl, whose body revealed traumatic abuse injuries.”

An autopsy revealed that Bella died from blunt force trauma to her abdomen, and the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide. Two law enforcement officials, who had knowledge of the case but were not authorized to speak about it, said the girl had injuries on her lower body that were consistent with physical and sexual abuse.Mr. Jenkins spent five years in state prison after being convicted of attempted murder in the Bronx. He faces a sentence of up 25 years to life in prison if he is convicted again. He could not be reached for comment on Tuesday because he was in custody, and it was not known if he had a lawyer.

In a Facebook post, Shamika T. Gonzalez, the girl’s mother, wrote: “Bella, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you. This feels like a bad dream I can’t wake up from.”

Mr. Jenkins was not Bella’s father, though he did have a 3-month-old son with Ms. Gonzalez. He had been in charge of caring for the children for about eight hours on Monday, while Ms. Gonzalez, 25, and Lailah Boyd, 50, her mother, had gone to work. When they returned at 5 p.m., Mr. Jenkins told Ms. Gonzalez that the girl was taking a nap, the police said.

When Ms. Gonzalez went to check on Bella at 5:50 p.m., she found the girl unconscious, the police said. Mr. Jenkins called 911 just after 6 p.m. to summon help at their apartment on Beach 105th Street. An ambulance crew rushed the girl to St. John’s Episcopal Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Mr. Jenkins, Ms. Gonzalez and Ms. Boyd were taken to the 100th Precinct for questioning on Monday night.

While the family had no prior contact with Administration for Children’s Services, the city’s child welfare agency, the authorities began to suspect Bella had not died of natural causes after discovering bruises on her ankle, thigh and abdomen area, the law enforcement officials said. Her injuries were at different stages of healing, one of the officials said, indicating some were fresh and others were older.Child welfare workers removed the baby from the home on Monday.

Mr. Jenkins had been arrested in 2004 after he fired around 12 shots and hit a 20-year-old man in the back in the Bronx, officials said. Investigators believed he had been called to the scene of a domestic dispute and, on arriving, took out a gun and fired.

He was sentenced to 8 years in prison, but was paroled a year early in September 2011. His supervised released ended in 2016. [source NY TIMES]

SO SAD–the SYSTEM is FAILING these children–particularly CHildren of COLOR! SO SAD!!


Leave a Reply